A recent survey conducted by the Business Group on Health found that 83% of employers identified cancer as the top healthcare-cost driver.1 As cancer overtakes musculoskeletal issues as the costliest condition, employers are seeking new and innovative ways to combat late-stage cancer diagnoses.
The most common cancer diagnosis is breast cancer with roughly 264,000 new cases a year.2 As October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, women and men alike should concentrate on preventive measures, such as completing annual checkups or mammograms, to help catch breast cancer earlier. In fact, “women whose breast cancer is detected at an early stage have a 93% or higher survival rate in the first five years.”3
That’s where Virtual Primary Care comes in. With preventive and chronic care management, members can catch cancer diagnoses early and receive hands-on, value-based care management throughout their healthcare journeys. An established and trusted relationship with a Virtual Primary Care doctor encourages members to prioritize their health and follow annual, age-based tests and screenings.
For one member, First Stop Health (FSH) Virtual Primary Care made all the difference in her healthcare journey: She caught her breast cancer early. Here’s her breast cancer journey.
Member Profile: This member is in her late-thirties and does not have any family history of breast cancer.
- This member had her annual wellness visit with a FSH Virtual Primary Care doctor in February 2022. As she was soon to turn 40, the doctor referred her to get a mammogram to set a baseline for future annual visits.
- She completed her first mammogram in May 2022 after FSH communications reminded her to complete the appointment. A lump was detected which led to an ultrasound and eventually a biopsy.
- Following the biopsy, this member was diagnosed with breast cancer. Stage 0 ductal carcinoma in situ.
- Because of the guidance from a FSH Virtual Primary Care doctor, this member’s breast cancer was caught very early. She was able to receive treatment with surgery and radiation.
- 4.5 months later and this FSH member is officially cancer free!
This member shared that without the convenience of FSH Virtual Primary Care, she would have most likely put off her mammogram indefinitely and her prognosis could have been much worse. In her words, “What every provider, from the biopsy radiologist to my oncologist and surgeon, asked me in surprise was, ‘Why did I go get my mammogram?’” She had no symptoms or no known family history. It was with the preventive care tactics of FSH Virtual Primary Care that diagnosed this member with early-stage breast cancer before it could worsen.
You can read more about her story here.
First Stop Health (FSH) Virtual Primary Care
As aforementioned, late-stage cancer diagnoses are on the rise and increasing healthcare costs for both employers and employees. FSH Virtual Primary Care is here to help members with preventive care to support overall health, decrease healthcare costs and provide a convenient and enjoyable healthcare experience. The FSH Care Team guides members throughout their unique healthcare journeys with hands-on care management to make sure they receive the support they need.